Unitrends, the industry’s fastest-growing multi-environment data protection and disaster recovery company, today announced that a strong Q4 2013 performance led the company to its 20th consecutive quarter of record growth.
Click to Tweet
: 2013 marks @Unitrends most profitable year ever! Congrats to all involved! http://ctt.ec/823EM+ #dataprotection #disasterrecovery
Marking the most profitable year in company history, Unitrends achieved a 67 percent increase in bookings year-over-year and added more than 1,700 new customers in 2013. This past quarter, the company continued to accelerate its charge toward $100 million in annual revenue with a 69 percent increase in bookings, Q4 2013 over Q4 2012, and the addition of more than 550 new customers. Unitrends currently supports nearly 5,000 customers worldwide, and, despite rapid growth, continues to maintain a 98 percent customer satisfaction rating.
Internally, Unitrends hired 92 employees across all functional areas in 2013 alone. Unitrends added to its customer support ranks at company headquarters in Columbia, S.C., greatly expanded its presence in Europe, and announced several key additions to its management team, including: Subo Guha, vice president of product management and marketing; Daniel Wixon, vice president of customer support; Jessica Flanagan, vice president of human resources; Kevin Moreau, managing director for Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA); and Michael Hon-Mong, managing director for Central and Eastern Europe. The company now employs 268 people and is on pace to exceed its 2013 hiring rate in the coming year.
Building a Data Protection and Disaster Recovery Powerhouse
In October, Unitrends received a major growth equity investment from Insight Venture Partners, a leading global private equity and venture capital firm. The goal of the acquisition was to further stimulate Unitrends’ recent growth through buy and build strategies backed by Insight Venture Partners. In December, Unitrends announced the first of its strategic moves under the Insight umbrella with the acquisition of PHD Virtual Technologies, an innovator of virtual backup and disaster recovery assurance solutions.
The PHD Virtual acquisition represents the next step in Unitrends’ expansion strategy. Its comprehensive product portfolio and track record of growth over 15 consecutive quarters made PHD Virtual a perfect complement to Unitrends’ business. The company added more than 350 new customers and 116 resellers in Q4 alone and closed 2013 with 40 percent year-over-year revenue growth.
“2013 was a milestone year for us,” said Mike Coney, president and CEO of Unitrends. “We far exceeded our financial goals and benchmarks for delivering cutting-edge technology, unrivaled customer support and industry-leading channel programs. Now, with Insight’s support and the PHD Virtual acquisition, we enter the next phase of transforming Unitrends into a data protection and disaster recovery powerhouse.”
Providing the Industry’s Best Cost-to-Value Ratio
In 2013, Unitrends demonstrated a sustained commitment to providing first-of-its-kind technology and services that offer the best cost-to-value ratio in the data protection industry. Highlights include:
• New hardware (Recovery Series Pledge and Pledge Plus), cloud (No Limits Cloud™) and support services
– Designed to deliver the ultimate customer experience, these innovative new services provide unified data protection, flexible purchasing options, upgrades and discounts, and regionally-based customer support, among a variety of other benefits.
• Unitrends Enterprise Backup™ (UEB) Free Edition for the unlicensed (free) version of VMware® vSphere™ Hypervisor™
– Unitrends is the only data protection provider offering a free, automated, fully functioning backup and recovery solution for both the licensed and unlicensed versions of vSphere.
• Customized Unified Data Protection™ for Cisco Unified Computing System™ (UCS) platforms
– Industry-first solution leverages the power of UEB to deliver physical, virtualized and cloud-based data protection customized specifically for the Cisco UCS fabric.
• Unitrends Release 7.2
– Designed to deliver enterprise-class data protection at a level of simplicity that meets the unique demands of small and medium-sized businesses, Unitrends Release 7.2 includes DNS/DHCP support for Windows®, legal hold, simplified user interfaces and expanded application support.
Delivering an Unrivaled Channel Program to Partners
Throughout 2013, Unitrends achieved several major channel program milestones, including:
• The launch of its revolutionary Service Provider Program, which equips hosting, managed services and cloud providers with the agile infrastructure needed to simply and cost-effectively offer onsite and offsite backup and disaster recovery services to their customers.
• The launch of UniRewards, Unitrends’ loyalty program for channel partners and resellers. Through UniRewards, partners can earn points for engaging in various activities that support Unitrends’ products and services and then redeem their reward points for cash.
• A strategic partnership with Tech Data Corporation, one of the world's largest distributors of IT products and services. Tech Data signed on to distribute Unitrends’ entire product portfolio of physical and virtual backup and recovery appliances to resellers nationwide.
Unitrends’ explosive growth, strong customer support and integration with the IT community were recognized throughout Q4 2013 by the following awards programs: Inc. Hire Power Awards
, Spiceworks™ Spicies Awards
, Best in Biz Awards
and the Deloitte® Technology Fast 500™
. Unitrends was also recognized by Business Solutions magazine as a 2014 Best Channel Vendor
in the backup and disaster recovery category.
For more information on Unitrends and its enterprise-class data protection and disaster recovery solutions for heterogeneous environments, please visit www.unitrends.com.
Unitrends provides physical, virtual and cloud-based protection and recovery for every organization’s most valuable assets: its data and applications. Supported by a “crazy-committed” customer service model based on engagement, experience and excellence, the company consistently achieves a 98 percent customer satisfaction rating and delivers the best cost-to-value ratio in the data protection industry. Visit www.unitrends.com.