Restoring a protected physical system to newly provisioned system is an enormous hassle. Adminstrators must install the operating system, applications, reconfigure license keys, and other information and hope that the physical hardware is close enough to the origincal configuration to avoid failure. By the time you’ve installed your newly provisioned system and restored the previous backup, days and even weeks have passed by without your original services being available.
Bare Metal to the Rescue
Unitrends Bare Metal enables you to restore the operating system, applications, and other software onto the “bare metal” of the newly provisioned server—even if that server is of a vastly different type than the originally protected server. RTOs (Recovery Time Objectives) can easily be met for not only physical systems (P2P—or Physical-to-Physical) but also operates with Unitrends Bridge™ on P2V (Physical-to-Virtual) and V2P (Virtual-To-Physical) transformation as well.
Unified Bare Metal
Unitrends Unified Bare Metal unifies the concepts of bare metal backups with a master (sometimes called a full) backup so that only one backup type is needed. The advantages for Windows physical and GOS-level virtual systems are:
- More retention. Up to 100% more retention due to the need for only one backup type and the enhanced deduplication characteristics of that new unified bare metal/master backup type.
- Faster replication. Replication improvements of up to 100% due to the enhanced deduplication characteristics of the new unified bare metal/master backup type.
- Smaller backup window. When bare metals are scheduled with master backups, the backup window is reduced by up to 100% due to the elimination of the separate bare metal backup.
- Faster RTO. With Unified Bare Metal there is no longer the need to restore the bare metal and then restore the file-based backup. This means that RTO is improved by as much as 100%.
- Universal BMR. A single ISO is used for all bare metal restores which means that only one restore media must be created. This reduces bare metal restore preparation time by on average between 50% to as much as 200% or more.
- Different sized BMR source and targets. A feature customers have asked for is to allow bare metal backups to be restored to different sized targets; this is now available with Unified Bare Metal.
- GPT and EFI/UEFI support. GPT and EFI/UEFI bare metal support is now available.
- Simpler. A new user interface for bare metals radically simplifies the backup and restore process.
Hot bare metal support for GPT-based Linux systems as well is included as well.
Meta Bare Metal for Unified Computing
With our patent-pending Meta-Bare Metal technology for unified architectures, we enable Cisco UCS administrators to back up their UCS system— the hardware blade or rack mount server and its operating system, applications, all configuration and profile information including network, storage, virtualization, and firmware settings unique to UCS.
With Meta-Bare Metal, UCS administrators can finally realize the full power of automated backup in a “fire and forget” mode—rather than having to manually and separately perform UCS configuration backup each day. The customer-reported savings with respect to recovery time range from 50% to infinitely better—infinitely because of so many administrators telling us that when they had to manually perform the UCS backup they would often forget to do so after a re-configuration and thus would lose valuable configuration data that they could never recover.