Some vendors have made the case that virtual data protection is a Hobson’s choice—one in which only one option is offered. In essence, if you want the best protection for your virtual environment you’re left with only one choice—to protect it only with backup at the hypervisor level—or not at all.
The challenges that are reported by IT with hypervisor-only backup include:
- Inability to back up as frequently as desired due to high overhead.
- Too much data is backed up because there is no selective back up within the virtual machine.
- Too much storage is being used, and my retention is too low, because of lower deduplication ratios.
- There are some virtual machines that literally can’t be protected.
Unitrends offers another choice: deep virtual protection in which you can protect your virtual infrastructure both at the hypervisor level and concurrently more deeply within individual virtual machines themselves at the native application- and operating system-level.
Diagram of the Unitrends Hybrid Cloud Architecture
FEATURES OF OUR DEEP VIRTUAL PROTECTION INCLUDE:
- Virtual infrastructure protection granularly at the hypervisor level and more deeply within specified individual virtual machines.
- Less data that needs to be backed up via granular operating system and application level backup.
- Decreased RPOs via granular operating system and application level backup.
- Application-aware, adaptive deduplication for reduced footprint and backup/replication windows
- Reduced snapshot overhead in virtual environments.
- Unitrends Bridge: Recovery to dissimilar physical machines or other hypervisors.
- Protection for physical RDM, iSCSI pass-through, and independent persistent disk configurations in VMware vSphere environments.
- Protection for shared VHDX configurations in Microsoft Hyper-V environments.