Cloud Backup Series
This post is one of a series regarding cloud backup. See these links for more information concerning Unitrends cloud backup along with an overview of Vault2Cloud: Unitrends enterprise level cloud backup service.
Cloud Backup: Disadvantages of General Cloud-Based Solutions
As mentioned in the previous post in this series, there e are drawbacks with respect to cloud-based computing as well; these include
- Performance and latency. WAN performance has not and will not keep pace with microprocessor, memory, disk, and LAN performance. Any cloud solution must take into account not only the gap between on- and off-premise performance, but must also address the fact that this gap will only widen over time. This issue affects both private and public clouds equally.
- Security and privacy. Security and privacy, for both at-rest and in-flight data, must be taken into account. Different industries have different requirements so it’s important that security and privacy be addresses in a flexible manner. This issue affects primarily public clouds.
- Reliability and availability. The information infrastructure that constitutes the cloud as well as the connection to the cloud must be both reliable and highly available. This issue affects both private and public clouds equally.
- Manageability. Because clouds can be somewhat amorphous in nature to the end user and because users perceive a loss of control when using clouds, the manageability of the cloud is very important. In private clouds, this is typically less of an issue since the entire infrastructure can be managed by the one tenant of the cloud. In public clouds, manageability has to be a key component of the architecture since otherwise a user can end up with a lowest common denominator solution.
- Monitoring. Trust is the single biggest issue raised by consumers of cloud-based services. Monitoring is incredibly important as one way of helping establish trust. This is a major issue for public clouds – and has also been called out as an important issue in private clouds as well.