Deep Virtual Protection for Microsoft Hyper-V
This post is one in a series concerning release 8.0 for Recovery Series physical appliances and our UEB virtual appliance. The overview for this series may be found here.
Deep Virtual Protection is a term we’ve been using to simplify an important concept for virtualization administrators – not every VM and component of your virtual environment is the same.
Some VMs are more critical than others and need to be protected very frequently. Some do not require certain data to be protected at all. Some may have stricter performance SLAs than others.
As a result, you, the virtual admin, may have storage, protection and recovery strategies that require more than one way to handle the VM environment. This is where deep virtual protection comes into play. We know that the majority of VMs in a virtual environment should be protected at the hypervisor level. This allows for automatic discovery, simplified management and resource optimization of a given host. It also lends to some cool instant recovery techniques.
However, many of you have those one or two critical SQL Server databases that hiccup a little too much when a hypervisor snapshot is taken, which doesn’t make your users very happy. Maybe as a result of that impact you cannot back them up as frequently as you’d like. Otherwise, they may be configured using storage configurations for performance or high availability purposes that completely disable hypervisor level access.
This is where the ability to get deeper into the guest operating system and application levels of machines is critical. You can:
- Be selective regarding what files, directories or application data you want to protect in order to save your company money on storage
- Ensure that you’re meeting RPOs with critical databases
- Avoid midnight calls from offices in other locations about performance issues during the hypervisor snapshot process
Specifically for Hyper-V administrators, Unitrends now provides the epitome of deep virtual protection. Let’s face it. There are other vendors out that there can protect hypervisors, guest VMs and applications (yet there are still some that can’t). What sets Unitrends apart is the ability to integrate deeply at all levels to provide the best recovery.
With Release 8.0 for Recovery Series and UEB appliances, we’ve added some key features that will help Hyper-V administrators achieve enterprise-level protection with unmatched TCO.
- Instantly recover a full VM using the latest techniques that virtualization offers for hypervisor level protection and recovery –VM boot directly from a deduplicated, compressed backup (no manual steps to stand up operating systems in advance)
- For guest-level protection, use Unitrends BridgeTM to failover quickly to a Hyper-V virtual machine – or even to vSphere or our Recovery Series appliance
- Recover an entire physical Hyper-V host using Unified Bare Metal Recovery after a hardware failure
- Ensure highly available VMs using shared VHDX configurations are protected
- Simplify protection of VMs running on SMB3.0 shares with hypervisor level (agentless) support
So don’t worry about adapting your Hyper-V environment the way your backup vendor wants you to. Let Unitrends adapt to you to make your life easier.
…And we also protect physical machines too.