Unitrends this week released Enterprise Plus. Why Unitrends Enterprise Plus? Because our mission is to increase uptime and confidence in a world in which IT professionals must do more with less. We didn’t say “IT professionals in small companies” or “IT professionals in large companies” – our mission is to help all IT professionals. Our fastest growing customer base are enterprises (which we designate as companies with 1000 or more employees.) The reason that we’re growing so fast in the enterprise is our radical simplicity from our user interface to our all-in-one one-throat-to-choke approach from on premises to cloud, our affordability, and recently our support of protection of AWS and Azure workloads. But our enterprise customers are more demanding – thus we created the Enterprise Plus offerings.
What is Unitrends Enterprise Plus? Unitrends Enterprise Plus is a collection of our enterprise-level features and is available for both our integrated purpose-built physical appliances and our VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer virtual appliances. The features that constitute Enterprise Plus are as follows:
- Application-Level Recovery Assurance with Automation and Orchestration. Our flagship recovery assurance offering. Enables RTA (Real-Time Actual) monitoring, management, and reporting based on RTO and RPO (Recovery Time Objective, Recovery Point Objective.) This works via sandboxing and actual testing at the application level (e.g., SQL, SharePoint, Oracle, Exchange, and so on.)
- Distributed Enterprise Manager. Unitrends has long had a single pane of glass for monitoring and management of dozens of machines. However, as we’ve increasingly penetrated the enterprise due to our radical simplicity and affordability, we have been increasingly asked for the capability of managing hundreds and thousands of Unitrends physical and virtual appliances. This feature allows monitoring and management of up to 10,000 physical and virtual appliances. The architecture actually allows millions of monitored and managed devices; we limit to 10,000 just because that was our initial testing goal (i.e., if you have a need for more than 10,000 monitored and managed devices, please call us.)
- VMware Direct Replication to Azure and AWS. This is our popular “Boomerang” feature. We now include in Enterprise Plus the ability to directly replicate and spin-up VMware VMs in AWS and Azure. This means we don’t only protect workloads within AWS and Azure, but support replication from VMware to object storage within those clouds with spin-up.
- NDMP. NDMP support is now available bundled in Enterprise Plus.
- Bundled Exchange Granular Recovery. Unlimited Exchange mailboxes are supported for granular item-level recovery. Enterprise customers have a lot of mailboxes; this gets rid of the hassle and expense of pricing per mailbox tier.
In addition, in our Unitrends Release 9.2 we also released a new enterprise-focused feature that is available not just in Enterprise Plus edition but in our other editions as well. Self-Service Role-Based Access Control. Enables access and self-service at the application, virtual machine, and server level. This means that IT can allow SQL administrators (for example) to have 24x7x52 access to their application for backup and continuity. Audit trail reporting enables oversight by higher level administrators of lower level administrators and users.
This is just the beginning of a big 2017 for Unitrends. We will continue to offer capabilities for businesses of all sizes – because a 100 person company may have 50 locations and need Distributed Enterprise Manager just as a 10,000 person company wants affordable and simple one-throat-to-choke purpose built hybrid cloud physical appliances. In backup and continuity (and productivity – stay tuned), it’s an interesting world that resists stereotypes. And at Unitrends, we’re just getting started.
As always, would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.