What is Unitrends Release 9.2?
It’s the latest release for our Recovery-Series physical purpose built backup appliances (PBBAs) and for our Unitrends Backup virtual PBBAs for VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer – and recently launched support for Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure. In this blog post, we’ll present an overview of Unitrends Release 9.2.
The broad theme of Unitrends Release 9.2 are supporting Unitrends increasing sales into the enterprise. Unitrends has seen tremendous growth in larger businesses due to our radical simplicity, reliability, and affordability. In addition, we have created a unique security capability aimed at a form of malware called “Ransomware.” All of these features have been requested by our enterprise customers and are important to Unitrends’ continued growth in the enterprise segment. Does our delivery of enterprise functionality mean that we’re abandoning our SME (Small and Medium Enterprise) customers? Of course not! We’ve been growing in the enterprise segment for years. We believe that small, medium, and large customers have many requirements in common in backup and continuity – and we are committed to continue delivering simple, reliable, and affordable small, medium, and large enterprise feature/functionality for all of our customers.
In terms of features, Unitrends release 9.2 consists of five key customer-facing features. For details, the Unitrends Release 9.2 Release Notes should be consulted. Unitrends Release 9.2 is the successor to Unitrends Release 9.1 and includes the following key features:
- Distributed Enterprise Manager (DEM). DEM enables Unitrends customers to monitor and manage up to 10,000 physical and virtual PBBAs.
- Role-Based Access Control (RBAC). RBAC enables Unitrends customers the automation to provide separate backup and continuity self-service for multiple virtual machine, server, and application administrators.
- Ransomware Detection. Ransomware detection enables Unitrends customers to be alerted when our Recovery-Series and Unitrends Backup PBBAs detect potential Ransomware attacks. Attacks are predicted using a combination of predictive analytics and machine learning; the infrastructure being protected is monitored for anomalies that correlate with Ransomware penetration.
- Windows 2016 Protection. Windows 2016 protection is provided in this release.
- Hyper-V 2016 Protection. Hyper-V 2016 protection is provided in this release.
If you have any questions about Unitrends Release 9.2, or you have any thoughts you can share on backup and continuity in general, as always I hope you’ll leave a comment.