Protect NAS storage with NDMP backup.
Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) is an open protocol that can be used to access data directly from a storage device for backup and recovery. As a leading provider of backup and recovery solutions for the enterprise, Unitrends offers an NDMP backup solution for EMC and NetApp Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. In addition to NDMP backup, Unitrends offers broad support for other NAS devices using file-level methods. We provide users with multiple options for simple backup management, improved performance, and recovery of access control lists (ACLs) files.
NDMP backup solutions from Unitrends.
Unitrends provides industry-leading backup and recovery solutions to enterprises around the world. With a large portfolio of physical, virtual and cloud solutions, Unitrends technology provides protection for nearly all storage solutions and more than 220 versions of operating systems (including Linux backup), hypervisors (including Citrix XenServer backup solutions) and applications (including Exchange backup¸ Oracle backup and SQL backup software.)
Unitrends NDMP backup solutions offer significant advantages for data protection, including:
- Easier access to NAS storage.
- Faster backups in some circumstances – especially where the NAS contains millions of small files.
- Support for incremental backups, offering more recovery points with minimal impact on the network.
- Presentation of access control lists (ACLs) and other file attributes after recovery.
Features of Unitrends’ NDMP backup solution.
NDMP backup comes as an optional add-on license to Recovery-Series appliances and Unitrends Enterprise Backup virtual appliances.
Unitrends NDMP backup supports devices from:
- EMC Celerra
- EMC VNX
- EMC VNXe
- NetApp FASxxxx
Unitrends currently supports version 4 of the NDMP protocol.
Yet NDMP backup may not always be the best way to protect NAS devices. The possible downside of NDMP backup includes:
- Limited deduplication and compression benefits, resulting in a larger storage footprint.
- Not all storage vendors are supported by Unitrends NDMP backup solution.
- An NDMP backup cannot be recovered in the Unitrends Cloud as part of Unitrends DRaaS (Disaster Recovery as a Service) solution.
NDMP backup is offered as an annual and monthly subscription with Unitrends Recovery-Series solution. For Unitrends Enterprise Backup, on-premise licensing is perpetual; use the standard NDMP purchase option.
Learn more about Unitrends NDMP backup solution, and Unitrends solutions for Exchange recovery, SQL backup software and more.