Our mission – the reason Unitrends exists – is to increase your uptime and confidence in a world where you must do more with less. We don’t sell you a piece of backup software and tell you to slap it on Windows and figure it all out yourself; we sell cloud-empowered, purpose built, all-in-one backup appliances (hardware and software) that operate on your premise and in AWS and Azure.
Why Unitrends? Because we’re customer obsessed – one vendor, one throat to choke, and a whole lot more that you can read for yourself below.
Unitrends Versus Zerto
Zerto is not a backup solution, but a replication solution for Disaster Recovery. Zerto drives its marketing around short Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) due to its unique replication methodology. However, achieving RPOs of seconds – as Zerto claims – are rarely achieved given environmental limitations. Additionally, Zerto’s architecture leaves customers paying more and adding risk to their continuity strategy.
Top 5 Reasons to Choose Unitrends Over Zerto
- Zerto requires a virtual appliance per host – high complexity. Zerto requires an intrusive installation into the vSphere kernel – high risk to production apps and VMware support
- Zerto requires a Windows machine in the cloud – more management cost and ransomware risk
Lower Cloud Costs
- Zerto requires an m4.x Large Windows VM to run in the cloud for replication, adding over $4300 per year to your cloud cost
- Unitrends Boomerang leverages “Pilot Light” technology that uses no cloud compute until you need to failover
- Zerto has no failback process. You get to the cloud and cannot come back without using painful 3rd party tools
- Unitrends Boomerang can return a running machine in the cloud to the on-premises VMware environment in a single-step
- Zerto only provides granular recovery from cloud storage
- Unitrends Boomerang brings full VMs back from cloud storage in a single-step, giving confidence that you are not held captive in the cloud
100% Confidence with Recovery Assurance
- Unitrends Cloud offers true SLAs, which cannot be achieved using shared, hyperscale infrastructure like AWS and Azure. Unitrends Cloud with Unitrends Backup software and Recovery Series provide the great alternative.
- Zerto uses its own (unsupported by VMware) IO filter that leaves all machines in a crash-consistent state (Blue Screen Risk!) They also don’t offer enterprise-level capabilities such as seeding and white glove service for DR. They also have no physical support.