Unitrends offers Unitrends Cloud. Veeam does not offer a Veeam Cloud.
Both Unitrends and Veeam offer cloud services program where a partner can build their own cloud with our software. Unitrends also offers a cloud services program to partners where they can resell the Unitrends Cloud; Veeam has no cloud so they do not offer this. Both Unitrends and Veeam have software that IT professionals can at a primary site and secondary site to build their own continuity solution (Unitrends also sells physical backup appliances as well.) Unitrends offers direct backup to third-party hyperscale clouds such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform, and others; Veeam at one time supported third-party hyperscale clouds but later made a decision to eliminate cloud support for Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform, and others.
There are tremendous differences in Unitrends and Veeam cloud-related capabilities that we’ve discussed in other blog posts including (but by far not limited to) deduplication and content-aware deduplication, replication and WAN acceleration/optimization, continuity and availability – as well as the most obvious differences between Unitrends offering granular application and physical protection while Veeam operates only at the hypervisor-level for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in Veeam Backup and Replication versus Unitrends Cloud, Unitrends Enterprise Backup, and our Recovery-Series physical appliances.
But none of that changes the basic reality. Unitrends offers Unitrends Cloud. Veeam does not offer a Veeam Cloud.
Here are just a few of the questions you want to ask of any vendor who is selling you cloud-based continuity:
- Do you directly offer a cloud?
- Are you committed to cloud choice – now and in the future?
- Do you allow virtual and physical spin-up in your cloud?
- Do you offer world-class expert support to get not just virtual machines up but your entire infrastructure up?
- Do you offer recovery assurance to get your business back up?
- Do you offer recovery sequencing to simply boot your entire infrastructure?
- Do you offer white glove services to help you get your business back up?
- Do you offer world-class 98% or higher customer satisfaction support of your cloud?
- What is your commitment to security and compliance in your cloud?
- Are you at least SSAE 16 SOC 2 or above certified?
- Do you offer physical seeding in my geography?
- Do you offer built-in single-pass storage-based global deduplication and WAN acceleration?
- What are the SLAs associated with the cloud offering?
- What is the price of the cloud offering?
- Will my data be kept in geographically separate locations?
- What level of expertise does the cloud operations group protecting my data have?
- Will you “Hotel California” me in the cloud? (You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave.) Or will you offer me not only your cloud based on your software but also third-party clouds?
- How can I get OBTP / OTTC (One Back to Pat / One Throat To Choke) with a single vendor to ensure that I’m not the victim of finger-pointing? Note that this is a great question to ask not only about the cloud, but about software-only versus integrated software- or hardware-solutions as well.
Have any different opinions on this or willing to share any insights? As always, we’d love to hear from you.
- Unitrends and Veeam: Single Web Page Summary
- Unitrends and Veeam: Why Veeam Is Talking About Unitrends Now
- Unitrends and Veeam: Overview
- Unitrends and Veeam: Legacy Silliness
- Unitrends and Veeam: Detailed Analyst Ratings
- Unitrends and Veeam: User Interface and Experience
- Unitrends and Veeam: Scalability
- Unitrends and Veeam: Deduplication
- Unitrends and Veeam: Content-Aware Deduplication
- Unitrends and Veeam: Replication and WAN Acceleration/Optimization
- Unitrends and Veeam: Continuity and Availability
- Unitrends Cloud and Veeam Cloud
- Unitrends and Veeam: Recovery Assurance and Verified Protection
- Unitrends and Veeam: Virtual Protection
- Unitrends and Veeam: Deep Virtual Protection
- Unitrends and Veeam: Physical Protection
- Unitrends and Veeam: All-in-One Integration and PBBAs
- Unitrends and Veeam: Pricing